Education Careers-Master's Degree as a School Counselor

young girl student writing on a small pad Use a Psychology degree to become a School Counselor

If you want to work with children in grades K-12 you can move from a Psychology degree to pursue a Master's degree in School Counseling. You will be located in a school and help children with academic and personal issues. Your work will also involve working with parents and teachers to help improve a child's well being. Finally, as a School Counselor you have the opportunity to communicatie with school administrators and outside agencies to find useful resources.  

Choosing to be a School Counselor will require you to earn a Master's degree in a School Counseor or Counseling (Psychology or Education) program. Typically, it will take 2 years to earn your Master's degree. You need to check with every program to see if the Master's program offers you any kind of financial assistance (tuition and a stipend to be a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant). I is likely, however, that such assistance is limited or not available at all. 

Your Master's degree should offer you greater job opportunities and greater salary than a Bachelor’s degree. Moreover, you can always decide to use your Master's degree as a springboard to a Doctoral degree. 

Click here to link to the website of the American School Counselors Association.

Salary Information

The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the median income for school counselors at $53,660.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Find out more about School Counseling by clicking on this link.

Click here to read more about what a Master's Degree in Psychology offers.

Click here to read about important steps for Mental Health Careers with a Graduate Degree.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Education Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about other Education careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree:

Education Careers--Teaching Children

Education Careers--Lbrary Assistant

Education Careers--Administration

Click on the links below to read about another Education careers that requires a graduate degree:

Education Careers--PhD in Educational Psychology

Education Careers--EdD in Education

Education Careers--PhD in School Psychology