Elder Care and Research Careers--Master of Social Work

female social worker showing a paper to female elder and talking to her about it

How can I use my Psychology degree to earn a Master of Social Work degree and work with Elders?

You can use your Psychology degree to pursue a graduate degree called a Master of Social Work (MSW). An MSW allows you to offer direct services to elders by working with them to help solve everyday problems. You might decide to get an MSW in clinical social work where your job will entail the diagnosis and treatment of elders (typically through therapy) who are dealing with mental health issues.

There are a variety of contexts where you can get a job as a Social Worker. First, you may work for state and local governments (e.g., Department of Health), a hospital, medical clinic or nursing home. Second, you may find a job in a non-profit community health agency. Third, you might work ior an organization serving the elderly. Finally, you may decide to go into private practice and serve as your own boss.

An MSW degree usually requires 2 years of graduate school. Some schools do not require a thesis, and typically you must pay tuition. An MSW offers greater job opportunities and greater salary than a Bachelor’s degree. It also allows you to be licensed by a state to do certain activities (e.g., testing, therapy). This type of degree places greater emphasis on the practice of psychology and much less emphasis on research. Click here to learn more about an MSW degree.

Click here to link to the National Association of Social Workers website.

Salary Information

The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the average yearly income for an MSW at $48,000.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in scoutiescareersinpsychology.org.

Click here to read some important steps in earning an MSW.

Other links on scoutiescareersinpsychology.org

Click here to return to homepage of scoutiescareersinpsychology.org

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Elder Care and Research Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about another Elder Care and Research career that only requires a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology:

Elder Care and Research Careers--Elder Adovcate/Fundraising

Elder Care and Research Careers--Aide to Elderly

Click on the links below to read about other Elder Care and Research careers that require a graduate degree:

Elder Care and Research Careers--Master's Degree in Psychology

Elder Care and Research Careers- Doctoral Degree in Psychology

Elder Care and Research Careers--Psychiatrist