Working with Children Careers--Master's Degree

psychology therapy with a parent

What are my career options with a Master's Degree in Psychology as far as working with children?

Psychologists with a Master's degree generally work in one of three areas:

Clinical- best suited for those with an interest in psychopathological populations and behavioral health--typically involves doing therapy

Counseling- best for those interested in vocational and career processes, human diversity, and professional training

Educational (School)- provide counseling services to students,including those with a learning disability or those with behavioral or social problems

Experimental--research the human growth and development process

Once you have your Master's Degree you might find a job in a school, at a private clinic, with a non-profit organization, or with the state or local government. You might even decide to go into private practice.

It usually requires 2 years of graduate school to complete a master's thesis (research project) and typically you must pay tuition. A Master's degree tends to offer greater job opportunities and greater salary than a Bachelor’s degree, and also allows you to be licensed by a state to do certain activities (e.g., testing, therapy).

Click here to read more about what a Master's degree in psychology offers.

Salary Information

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Click here to read important steps to a MA/MS or PhD in childcare or research.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Working with Children page.

Click on the links below to read about other Child care and Research careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology degree:

Working with Children--Child care

Working with Children--Child Protection

Working with Children--Teaching Children

Click on the links below to read about other Child care and Research careers that require a graduate degree:

Working with Children--Social Worker

Working with Children--Careers that Require a Doctoral Degree in Psychology

Working with Children--Psychiatrist