Working with Animals Careers--Research Laboratory Assistant

lab rat in sawdust

A Psychology degree can lead to a career as an Animal Research Lab Assistant

With your Psychology degree you can get a job as a research laboratory assistant. These research lab assistants work in animal research hospitals or research universities. Animals under their care are not typically pets (though they can be), but are animals studied to understand (through psychology research) and develop treatments for disease or other phenomena.

As a research lab assistant you will be required to deal with daily tasks such as receiving new animals, feeding animals, cleaning living areas, and monitoring the general well-being of the lab animals. As you can imagine, you really need to like animlas to take one of these positions. In addition, you will work under the supervision of one or more research scientists (often a psychology researcher) who typically have a PhD or MD, depending on whether you are located at a university or medical center.

Salary Information lists the average yearly income for an Animal Research Lab Tech (Assistant) at $35,000.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Click here to read important steps for Working with Animals Careers with a Bachelor's Degree.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Working with Animals Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about other Animal Care and Research Careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology:

Animal Care and Research Careers--Wildlife Care and Conservation

Animal Care and Research Careers--Animal Training

Animal Care and Research Careers--Veterinary Technician

Click on the links below to read about other Animal Care and Research careers that require a graduate degree:

Animal Care and Research Careers--Master's Degree in Psychology

Animal Care and Research Careers--PhD Degree in Psychology

Animal Care and Research Careers--Veterinarian (DVM)