Working with Animals Careers that Require a Master's Degree in Psychology

girl with horse

Can a Psychology degree lead to a Master's degree Working with Animals?

Psychologists with a Master's degree that work with animals are typically referred to as Comparative Psychologists and they will earn their Master's degree in Experimental Psychology. Their main interests are in studying the behavior and thinking of animals in comparison with humans. Those who want to work with animals often take additional coursework in Biology. 

It usually requires 2 years of graduate school to complete a Master's thesis (research project) and typically you must pay tuition. A Master's degree tends to offer greater job opportunities and greater salary than a Bachelor’s degree. If you decide to get an advanced degree to work with animals, you should check out important information about getting certified by the Animal Behavior Society. This certification is important because it is the way you demonstrate that you meet the minimum standards of education, experience and ethics required to work with animals.

Click here to read more about what a Master's degree in psychology offers.

Salary Information

The average yearly income for a Master's Degree in Experimental Psychology will typically be lower than the listing for the median (middle) yearly income for a PhD in Experimental Psychology (all fields: higher ed, industry, research applied fields) of $92,000.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Click here to read important steps to Working with Animals Careers with a Graduate Degree.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Working with Animals Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about other Animal Care and Research Careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology:

Animal Care and Research Careers--Research Lab Assistant

Animal Care and Research Careers--Wildlife Care and Conservation

Animal Care and Research Careers--Animal Training

Animal Care and Research Careers--Veterinary Technician

Click on the links below to read about other Animal Care and Research careers that require a graduate degree:

Animal Care and Research Careers--PhD Degree in Psychology

Animal Care and Research Careers--Veterinarian (DVM)

To learn more about applying to Psychology graduate school check out the following:

American Psychological Association

Columbia University