Mental Health Careers--Substance Abuse Counselor

silhoueete of man drinking alcohol and other alcohol bottles Moving toaward a Master's degree as a Substance Abuse Counselor after earning your Psychology degree

A Psychology degree is the starting point for earning a Master's degree and then focusing on Substance Abuse Counseling. Sadly, individuals suffer from drug addiction, alcoholism, or eating disorders. These individuals may choose to see a Substance Abuse Counselor to help with their recovery as well as assist in behavior modification. 

To become focused on Substance AbuseCounseling you would first get a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology. It typically takes 2 years to earn a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology--you will complete a master's thesis (research or other type of writing project). However, it is likely that during your time in graduate school you will have to pay tuition, and your opportunities to earn money as a graduate student with a Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship will be limited. Once you earn your Counseling degree, you will have to pass the requirement for a state license or certification.

 Being a Substance Abuse Counselor can lead to a job at a clinic, with a non-profit organization, or with the state or local government. You might even decide to go into private practice.

Salary Information lists the average salary for a substance abuse counselor at $38,500.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Learn more about Substance Abuse Counselors by clicking here.

Click here to read more about what a Master's Degree in Psychology offers.

Click here to read about important steps for Mental Health Careers with a Graduate Degree.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Mental Health Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology:

Mental Health Careers--Mental Health Technician

Mental Health Careers--Social Work Assistant

Mental Health Careers-Foster Care Case Manager

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that require a Master's Degree:

Mental Health Careers--Master's in Clinical/Counseling Psychology

Mental Health Careers--Genetic Counselor

Mental Health Careers--Licensed Professional Counselor

Mental Health Careers--Marriage and Family Therapist

Mental Health Careers--Art Therapy

Mental Health Careers--Master of Social Work

Mental Health Careers--Pastoral Counseling

Mental Health Careers--School Counseling

Mental Health Careers--Master's in Forensic Psychology

Mental Health Careers--Applied Behavior Analyst

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that require a Doctoral or Professional Degree:

Mental Health Careers--Doctoral Degree in Psychology