Mental Health Careers--Master of Social Work

male and female social workers working at table with computers Can I use my Psychology degree to move forward to a career as a Master of Social Work?

You can definitely move from your Psychology degree to pursue a graduate degree as a Master of Social Work (MSW). Although not a Psychology degree, it is very related, and an MSW allows you (if you decide to be a Clinical Social Worker) to conduct therapy if you chose. In addition, those with an MSW offer direct services to elders by working with them to help solve everyday problems. Keep in mind that an MSW degree places greater emphasis on the practice of psychology and much less emphasis on research--this appeals to many Psychology majors.

Where do Social Workers get employed? You may decide to get a job with a state and local government agency/department (e.g., Department of Health),. In addition, you can be employed in a hospital, medical clinic, community mental health clinic, or a non-profit community health agency.  Finally, you may want to be your own boss and decide to set up your own private practice.

To earn an MSW degree usually requires 2 years of graduate school. You need to check if the school you are interested in require a written project (thesis) or not. Also, it is likely that will pay pay tuition. Agaion, check will schools, because financial support may be avilable.

The good news is that an MSW offers greater job opportunities and greater salary than a Bachelor’s degree. Moreover, this degree allows you to be licensed by a state to do certain activities (e.g., testing, therapy). Click here to learn more about an MSW degree.

Salary Information

The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the average yearly income for an MSW at $48,000.

Click here to see career salary information for ALL careers listed in

Click here to learn more about an MSW degree.

Click here to read some important steps in earning an MSW.

Other links on

Click here to return to homepage of

Click here to return to the Careers by Category page.

Click here to return to the Mental Health Careers page.

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that only require a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology:

Mental Health Careers--Mental Health Technician

Mental Health Careers--Social Work Assistant

Mental Health Careers-Foster Care Case Manager

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that require a Master's Degree:

Mental Health Careers--Master's in Clinical/Counseling Psychology

Mental Health Careers--Genetic Counselor

Mental Health Careers--Licensed Professional Counselor

Mental Health Careers--Marriage and Family Therapist

Mental Health Careers--Art Therapy

Mental Health Careers--Pastoral Counseling

Mental Health Careers--School Counseling

Mental Health Careers--Substance Abuse Counselor

Mental Health Careers--Master's in Forensic Psychology

Mental Health Careers--Applied Behavior Analyst

Click on the links below to read about other Mental Health careers that require a Doctoral or Professional Degree:

Mental Health Careers--Doctoral Degree in Psychology 

Mental Health Careers--Psychiatrist